Tax Law in the District of Columbia
Here's bottom line information on major tax laws that affect District of Columbia residents as well as how to find a Washington DC tax attorney.
We'll use this article to explain:
- When a tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A Washington DC Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
If you have a tax problem, it's likely in your best interests to consult with a DC tax attorney. Here are example tax cases wherein a lawyer would be helpful:
- Clarice's house has been reassessed and her real estate taxes have doubled. She thinks that this must be a mistake and seeks to appeal the assessment. She knows she will be taken more seriously and not make stupid mistakes if she is represented by a lawyer.
- Hannibal wants to set up a new business and charity without waiving red flags at the IRS and the Washington DC Office of Tax and Revenue. He seeks legal advice and tax planning from a tax attorney.
- Ardelia has received an audit letter from the DC Office of Tax and Revenue. Her business is accused of not collecting and paying the 6% mandatory sales tax. She wants legal guidance and a professional to handle all interactions and any necessary negotiations.
- Jack owes $200,000 to the IRS. He wants a lawyer to try to negotiate with the IRS to get the amount due down.
- Barney needs to file back taxes for several years and needs help dealing with both the IRS and DC.
- Miggs has been accused of tax evasion and doesn't want to go to jail, if possible. He needs a strong defense. His ex-wife turned him in.
A Washington DC Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers handle all kinds of tax matters:
Here's a list of the main taxes that affect Washington DC residents: Income taxes self-employment taxes, withholding taxes, business taxes, real estate taxes,gift taxes, sales and use taxes, and estate and inheritance taxes.
Where do I Find Washington DC and Federal Tax Laws?
If you'd like to review federal or state laws, these links will help:
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- DC Official Code
Examples of Washington DC taxes:
- The income tax in Washington DC is marginal, with the top rate being 8.95%.
- Washington DC general sales tax is 6%.
- Washington DC has both an estate tax and an inheritance tax.
- For local tax laws,Google your county and town (i.e. real estate taxes, sales taxes, etc.)
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
For tax forms, tax rate charts, helpful tax information, and contact information click here:IRS the Washington DC Office of Tax and Revenue.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
Bottom line: You can find a Washington DC tax attorneyby searching our free site, www.attorneys.org, or by asking the bar association or a friend for a referral.