Personal Injury Law in Texas
Texas personal injury attorneys understand that it is shocking how fast life can change. Everything seems to putter along as normal, until it doesn't. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, you may be thinking similar thoughts. Nothing ever changes - until it does.
If you would prefer to focus on healing and your family - and you'd like to let someone else handle the legal, medical, and insurance systems, this article if for you.
A qualified personal injury lawyer will provide the specifics applicable to your case, but in the meantime, we'll discuss:
- The kinds of cases that Texas personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find a Texas personal injury attorney.
Would a Texas Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Case?
Typically, Texas personal injury lawyers handle the cases of people seriously injured within the state of Texas.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. Motorcycle, truck, car, cruise ship, construction zone, ATV, RV, boat, ferry, amusement park, mass accidents, bicycle, golf cart, and pedestrian accidents.
- Defective Products. Defective power tools, appliances, equipment, hair dryers, medications, vacuum cleaners, machines, saws, tools, cars, kitchen tools, and chemicals.
- Injuries. Wrongful death, dog bites, birth injuries, brain injuries, adverse drug reactions, food-borne illnesses, lacerations, scars, fractures, bruises, broken bones, nursing home abuse injuries, medical malpractice injuries, burns, Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer), and slip and falls injuries.
If you were injured on the job, you're likely covered by Workers Compensation insurance and you may not need to litigate. If you are having difficulty getting your benefits, are being forced back to work before you've healed, or were hurt by a defective or dangerous product, consult with a TX PI lawyer; consultations are free.
How Do I Prove My Texas Personal Injury Case?
To win your case, you must usually prove that the defendant was negligent.
- First, prove the defendant had a duty to you and failed to fulfill that duty.
- Second, prove that failure caused your injury.
- Third, prove you suffered legal damages because of those injuries.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- As soon as you make the call to a personal injury attorney, you'll have professionals on your side to protect you.
- Evidence must be collected before it disappears.
- Regardless of what you have seen on TV, insurance companies are not your friends. They will pressure you.
All lawsuits have a time limit.
Here are some example Texas statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
- Medical Malpractice is 2 years (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code В§ 74.251(a)).
- Personal Injury is 2 years (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code В§ 16.003(a)).
- Wrongful Death is 2 years (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code В§ 16.003(a) and (b)).
- Property Damage is2 years (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code В§ 16.003(a)).
How Do I Find a Texas Personal Injury Attorney?
To find a Texas personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral.
Local Personal Injury Attorneys
- Big Spring
- Cedar Park
- Clear Lake Shores
- College Station
- Corpus Christi