Tax Law in South Dakota
UGH. We understand that just thinking about taxes - or even a South Dakota tax attorney - is a big "UGH". To that we would respond, "yes, it is; but, you'll be glad you did".
When you have the information you need and consult with a SD tax lawyer, the big "UGH" turns to a little "ugh" and you can leave the tax mess up to the professional, while you focus on all those things you prefer.
To help make that reduction from big UGH to little ugh, this article will explain:
- When a SD tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a SD tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A South DakotaTax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Tax attorneys can help in all tax matters such as filing taxes (both present and back), tax planning, IRS and SD DOR communications and negotiations, criminal defense, audits, self-audits, and the like. Here are some examples:
- The IRS is auditing Luke's genealogy business. His intuition tells him, it's a witch-hunt and though he thinks he may be able to handle the audit alone, he's decided to consult with a SD tax lawyer with years of experience in interacting with the IRS.
- Leia's business sells princess gowns and holds princess parties for young girls. The South Dakota Department of Revenue is sending in accountants to make sure she's paying applicable sales tax as appropriate. She feels indignant that her veracity would be questioned and hires a SD tax attorney to deal with the invading accountants.
- Han gives flying lessons. He's consulting with a SD tax lawyer to make sure he's filing and paying taxes, as he should. He doesn't want to get audited or pay too much or too little in taxes.
- Obi-Wan has never paid taxes, but times are changing and he feels that he must deal with the system. He plans to consult with a tax attorney to find out if the IRS and SD have a come clean plan so he can make things right, but not go to jail or go broke.
- If the IRS or SD Department of Revenue get in his way, Darth plans to exit the country. Is that enough, he wonders? Or does he need to take further action to avoid American taxes?
- Anakin needs to know if the innocent spouse rule will serve as a complete defense. He is about to turn his wife in for tax evasion.
A South Dakota Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers represent South Dakota residents in tax matters including income taxes, capital gains taxes, self-employment taxes (Medicare taxes and social security taxes), withholding taxes, business related taxes, real estate taxes, gift taxes, sales and use taxes, and estate related taxes.
Where do I Find South Dakota and Federal Tax Laws?
If you'd like to peruse federal or state laws, these links will help:
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- South Dakota Codified Laws
Examples of South Dakota taxes:
- There is no income tax in South Dakota.
- South Dakota sales tax is 4% however locales can add their own sales tax. For example, Lake Huron adds 2%, which brings the general sales tax to 6% in that area.
- There is no estate tax and no inheritance tax in South Dakota.
- You can Google tax laws for your county and town (i.e. real estate taxes, sales taxes, etc.)
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
For legal advice, consult with a lawyer. To find a South Dakota tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral. It's okay to call a tax lawyer just to ask if you have a case.