Tax Law in New Mexico
If you've been or may be confronted by the IRS, the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department, or even your local taxing authority, it can be difficult to determine whether you're being treated fairly and whether the information you're receiving is accurate. Do the taxing authority representatives really understand and know how to apply the law? Are they explaining your rights and options? The only way you can know is by consultation with a New Mexico tax attorney.
To help get you accurate information, we'll provide links to tax information so you can double check what the tax representative said. Well also provide a link to find NM tax lawyers.
Here is the article outline:
- When a tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a NM tax attorney deals with
- How to find FREE non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A New Mexico Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Here are examples of tax cases. Because all cases are different, you need to call a tax lawyer and ask if you have a case.
- Elliott has made an interesting discovery. He needs information on the tax advantages of protecting an endangered species.
- Gertie is thinking of either opening a comedy club or a fashion design business. She wants to know the tax issues as well as the best business entity for tax purposes.
- Michael is being investigated for tax evasion. It looks like his friends, Greg and Steve, may be using him as a scapegoat. Still, jail is a possibility.
- Dee's husband has run off to Mexico and left her with an impossible tax bill of $17,000. She doesn't know how to handle the situation. What about negotiations? What about the Innocent Spouse Rule? What about an abatement of penalties? What if her husband lied on other years' taxes as well?
- Peter suspects that he has paid too much in taxes and wants to know how much he can get back from the IRS.
- Tyler's mom didn't pay any taxes for him from his child acting days. When he decided to run for Congress, the failure to file tax returns surfaced. How does he make it right?
An New Mexico Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers work with these taxes:
- Income taxes
- Business taxes
- Capital gains taxes
- Payroll taxes
- Withholding taxes
- Self-employment taxes
- Medicare taxes
- Social Security taxes
- Real estate taxes
- Federal gift taxes
- Mergers & acquisitions tax
- Sales and use taxes
- Federal estate state taxes
- Generation skipping taxes
New Mexico tax lawyers work with all types of tax issues. Here's an example list:
- Negotiations and communications with taxing authorities
- Criminal defense
- Tax planning
- Tax return preparation
- Back tax return preparation
- Tax court
- Private letter rulings for tax guidance
Where do I Find New Mexico and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are links to relevant tax law:
- Federal Tax Laws -Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- New Mexico State Tax Laws - The New Mexico Statutes
- Your Local Tax Laws - Google your own locale for local tax laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
These websites also have contact information. If you call, be sure to jot down your questions and answers, the date and time, and the representative's name or identification number. Keep the information in your tax file.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
To ensure accurate information and fair treatment, consult with a tax lawyer. To find a New Mexico tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.