Tax Law in Michigan
As soon as you have an inkling of a tax dispute or any tax issue, consult with the Michigan tax attorney. Tax controversies are never a path to walk alone.
We've written this article to provide foundational tax basics, explaining:
- When a MI tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a MI tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A Michigan Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
These are example tax cases. If you don't see your individual situation, contact the Michigan tax attorney of your choice and ask if they handle your type of case.
- Lola realizes that her husband has been cheating on their taxes for years. She signed the tax returns and isn't sure what to do next.
- Renee and Peter received an audit alert from the Michigan Department of Taxation regarding their real estate business.
- The IRS audited Jeffrey and Melissa and is now levying criminal charges -- tax evasion.
- Maria has lived in Qatar for the last 6 years and didn't realize until know that she should have been filing and paying U.S. income taxes.
- The tax court has stated that Joe owes $53,000 in back income taxes.
- The IRS sent a letter assessing Nick $50,000 for lottery winnings.
A MichiganTax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Income Taxes (personal, business, and corporate) including capital gains taxes.
- Estate related Taxes including estate, gift, and generation-skipping taxes.
- Corporate Taxes including income and acquisitions and mergers taxes.
- Withholding (Payroll) Taxes and self-employment (social security and Medicare) taxes.
- Sales and Use Tax including in person and Internet or catalog purchases.
- Realty Taxes
Where do I Find Michigan and Federal Tax Laws?
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Michigan Consolidated Laws
- Michigan specific taxes:
- Local Municipal Laws and Regulations
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
Never go it alone when facing a taxing authority like the IRS or the Michigan Department of the Treasury. To find a Michigantax attorney, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.
Local Tax Attorneys
- Ann Arbor
- Battle Creek
- Bingham Farms
- Bloomfield Hills
- East Lansing
- Farmington Hills
- Grand Rapids
- Mount Clemens
- Royal Oak
- Shelby Township
- St. Joseph
- Sterling Heights
- Traverse City
- Grand Haven