Personal Injury Law in Maine
Maine residents are very independent people and like to do things on their own. However, legal work should be an exception. Considering allowing a Maine personal injury attorney handle your case so you can focus on healing and taking care of your family.
If you or a loved one has been injured in Maine, this article will assist you.
- The kinds of cases that Maine personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find a Maine personal injury attorney.
Would a Maine Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Type of Case?
You need to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney to determine whether you have an actionable case. However, here's a list of common cases:
- Truck, car, motorcycle, pedestrian, bicycle, golf cart, RV, ATV, boat, cruise line, airplane, scooter, amusement park ride, construction zone, and mass accidents.
- Defective equipment, medical equipment, tires, cars, hair dryers, power tools, medicines, vacuum cleaners, machines, appliances, kitchen tools, chemicals, etc.
- Fractures, death, birth injuries, brain injuries, dog bites, adverse drug reactions, burns, scars, lacerations, bruises, broken bones, fractures, food-borne illnesses, nursing home abuse injuries, slip and falls injuries, medical malpractice injuries, and Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer).
How Do I Prove My Maine Personal Injury Case?
Most PI cases in Maine are based on a negligence claim. If so, this is what you need to show to either settle your case or get a favorable jury verdict.
- First, you need to show that the person (or company)who caused your injury had a duty to you and failed to act as a reasonable prudent person in that particular situation would act.
- Second, you must show that but for the defendant's actions or inactions you would not have been injured.
- Third, you need to show that you suffered legal damages because of those injuries. You could show medical bills, lost wages, lost benefits, pain and suffering, and for family members, loss of consortium.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- As soon as you make the call to a personal injury attorney, you'll have professionals on your side.
- Evidence is easily lost and is best preserved as close to the time of the accident as possible.
- Insurance companies will try to trick you by taping phone calls and offering unfairly low settlements.
The statute of limitations must be met.
Here are some example Maine statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
How Do I Find a Maine Personal Injury Attorney?
To find a Maine personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral.