Tax Law in Iowa
We've discovered that when facing tax challenges some folks prefer a ton of information and others just want to be pointed to an Iowa tax attorney who can handle everything on their behalf.
This article will appease all people, proving direct information on how to find an Iowa tax lawyer along with foundational information paired with links to as much information as you can swallow.
This article will guide you through:
- When an IA tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes an IA tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
An Iowa Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Here are 7 examples for those of you who would like to identify situations where others have sought legal counsel. There are many others as well so be sure to contact the tax attorney of your choice and ask about your individual situation.
- John Boy's writing business is being audited by the IRS; he wants legal representation to ensure that he doesn't make a mistake and that he is treated fairly.
- Mary Ellen's medical practice is a 501(c)(3). She's wants guidance so she doesn't lose that charitable entity status.
- The IRS has assessed Erin with a $33,000 tax deficit; she doesn't think she really owes that much and wants help negotiating with the IRS. She also wants to know if there is a tax forgiveness program.
- Olivia's estate has grown exponentially since her land has become so valuable - the estate is subject to the federal estate tax. She wants to know how she can treat all of her children fairly when most of her assets are tied up in land and how to avoid the federal estate tax.
- The Baldwin sisters are facing tax evasion charges for failing to pay taxes on their moonshine business - and they need a strong legal defense.
- The Iowa Department of Revenue is auditing John's lumber business. He wants a lawyer on his side during the audit.
- Zeb wants to set up a trust to benefit his mountain and his grandchildren - and their children - and their children,
An Iowa Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers handle:
- Tax related criminal defense matters,
- Tax planning,
- Preparation of tax returns,
- Tax court cases
- Private letter rulings
- Interactions with the IRS, the Iowa Department of Revenue, and local taxing authorities
Tax lawyers work with these taxes:
- Income taxes
- Capital gains taxes
- Payroll taxes
- Real estate taxes
- Gift taxes
- Mergers & acquisition taxes
- Sales taxes
- Use taxes
- Estate taxes
- Generation skipping taxes
- Business taxes
Where do I Find Iowa and Federal Tax Laws?
For those of you who like lots of information to peruse:
- Federal Tax Laws -Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Iowa State Tax Laws -The Iowa Code
- Local Tax Laws - Google your own county and township (city, town, borough, village, etc.) laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
the IRS and the Iowa Department of Revenue websites are a great source of tax forms, tax rates, tax laws, and explanations.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
If you don't want to go it alone when faced with a stressful tax challenge, work with the tax lawyer of your choice. To find an Iowatax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.