Personal Injury Law in Iowa
We've found that when injured people make the decision to hire an Iowa personal injury attorney, they feel an intense feeling of relief - immediately. The relief grows and the stress decreases when they communicate with and hire the PI lawyer.
Why does hiring an attorney make such a difference to an injured person's stress level?
The injured person knows she:
- Won't have to worry about understanding legal papers and procedures.
- Won't be taken advantage of by the insurance companies.
- Will have an advocate in her corner.
- Will get the money she deserves to compensate her for her injuries.
- Can rest and heal while the personal injury law firm is working on her behalf.
If you or a loved one has been injured in the state of Iowa, this article is meant for you. We'll discuss:
- The kinds of cases that Iowa personal injury lawyers handle.
- What you need to prove in a personal injury case.
- Why you should call a lawyer immediately.
- How to find an Iowa personal injury attorney.
Would an Iowa Personal Injury Attorney Handle My Case?
Fortunately, Iowa PI attorneys always give free consultations, with no commitment required, so you can find out if you have a case without paying a fee.
Here are some of the cases Iowa personal injury attorneys handle.
- Example Crashes and Accidents: Truck, car, motorcycle, scooter, pedestrian, bicycle, golf cart, RV, ATV, boat, cruise line, and amusement park ride accidents.
- Example Defective Products: Motors, chemicals, medications, equipment, tools, cars, hair dryers, power tools, medical equipment, medical supplies, medicines, vacuum cleaners, machines, appliances, kitchen tools, etc. have all been found to be defective at times.
- Example Injuries: Fractures, brain injuries, birth injuries, surgical errors, death, dog bites, adverse drug reactions, burns, scars, lacerations, bruises, broken bones, nursing home abuse injuries, slip and falls injuries, food-borne illness injury, medical malpractice injuries, and Mesothelioma (i.e. cancer).
Bottom Line: If you were seriously injured in Iowa, an Iowa attorney would likely handle your type of case.
How Do I Prove My Iowa Personal Injury Case?
To win your case, you must prove negligence. There are other theories of liability, but in Iowa, negligence is the most common.
- First, you need to show that the person (or company)who caused your injury had a duty to you and failed to act as a reasonable prudent person in that particular situation would act.
- Second, you must show that but for the person's unreasonable actions/inactions you would not have been injured.
- Third, you need to show that you suffered legal damages because of those injuries. Examples would be medical bills, lost wages, lost benefits, pain and suffering, and for family members, loss of consortium.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately?
- There is no fee to call a personal injury attorney.
- Evidence is better preserved as close to the time of the injury as possible.
- Unscrupulous insurance companies will call you.
If you allow the statute of limitations to pass on your case, you will be forever barred from receiving financial compensation for your injuries.
Here are some example Iowa statute of limitations for personal injury cases:
How Do I Find an Iowa Personal Injury Attorney?
To find an Iowa personal injury lawyer, search our site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a loved one for a referral. It's okay to call or email anytime of the day or night.
Local Personal Injury Attorneys
- Cedar Falls
- Cedar Rapids
- Clear Lake
- Council Bluffs
- Des Moines
- Iowa City
- Le Mars
- Mason City
- North Liberty
- Sioux City
- Storm Lake
- West Des Moines