DUI & DWI in Iowa
If you've been arrested for drunk driving, you need to find an Iowa DUI attorney - OWI lawyer. In Iowa, drunk driving is called "Operating While Intoxicated", but people commonly still use the terms"DUI"or "drunk driving" - it all means driving unsafely with "something" in your system or driving with a blood alcohol content of .08 or above.
This article will guide you through:
- Iowa OWI Laws
- Iowa DUI Punishments
- Potential DUI Defenses
- Iowa's Other Drunk Driving and Alcohol Laws
- How to Find an Iowa DUI OWI Attorney
Your Iowa drunk driving lawyer will provide you with specifics about your individual case.
When is a Driver Considered to be Legally Drunk in Iowa?
Iowa blood alcohol content (BAC) summary:
- 21 and Older: If you're a non-commercial driver, you'll be arrested for drunk driving if your BAC is .08 or higher.
- 20 and Younger: If you're underage, you'll be arrested for drunk driving if your BAC is .02 or higher.
- Commercial Drivers: If you're a commercial or school bus driver, you'll be arrested for driving drunk if your BAC is .04 or higher.
What is Iowa's Punishment for DUI Convictions?
- 1st Conviction: Jail time of 48 hours to 1 year - fine up to $1,250 - driver's license suspension for180 days* - loss of commercial license.
- 2nd Conviction: Jail from 7 days to 2 years- fines of $1,875 to $6,250- driver's license suspension for up to 2 years* - loss of commercial license.
- 3rd Conviction: Jail up to5 years- pay fines of $3,225 to $9,375- driver's license suspension for up to 6 years*-loss of commercial license.
*The driver's license suspension will be longer if you seriously injure or kill someone.
Iowa Drunk Driving Defenses
The main reasons to hire an Iowa criminal defense (DUI) attorney is to ensure you're treated fairly and put forth the best defenses possible.
Here are the defenses that are commonly used for OWI in Iowa:
- The officer had no legal reason (no probable cause) to stop you in the first place.
- When you were stopped, the officer didn't explain what would happen if you took or refused the Breathalyzer or blood tests.
- The officer didn't follow proper testing or arrest procedures.
- You were mistreated during detainment.
- There was an error during any trial.
Iowa's Other Drunk Driving and Alcohol Laws
Iowa's Dram Shop Act
A licensed drinking facility (bar, tavern, or restaurant)is civilly (not criminally) liable for injuries sustained because it knowingly served an intoxicated or underage person.
Iowa's Providing Alcohol to Underage Persons Law
It's illegal for a licensed drinking facility or an individual to provide alcohol to a minor. Jail time, fines, and loss liquor license will be handed down for violations.
How to Find an Iowa DUI Attorney
If you've been arrested for OWI - DUI - drunk driving, you need to be represented by a qualified attorney. To find an Iowa DUI lawyer, search our website, www.attorneys.org, or ask friends or the bar association for a referral.