How to find a good criminal defense lawyer
You can always ask for referrals. But if asking friends and family makes you uncomfortable, you're welcome to use our directory for a list of top criminal defense lawyers.
Choose an attorney with whom you are comfortable.
- Ask whether the attorney has experience in cases like yours.
- Explain your case and ask how the attorney is able to help you.
- Ask whether the attorney has time to work on your case.
- Ask about fees.
- Ask about communications policies (e.g. how fast will your phone call get returned?)
- Ask yourself:
- Do I like this lawyer?
- Will I trust his or her advice?
- Does the fee structure feel fair?a