Tax Law in Hawaii
A Hawaii tax attorney can provide legal advice and we'll show you how to connect with one. In addition, there are lots of other places you can get information on both Hawaiian and federal tax law. We'll show you how to connect with those as well.
In a nutshell, we'll cover:
- When a HI tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a HI tax attorney deals with
- How to find FREE non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A Hawaii Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
The attorney of your choice will apply the law to the facts of your individual case. Here are example tax law cases:
- Mary runs a nanny company and has to deal with payroll taxes and income taxes. She wants to make sure the company is as tax efficient as possible, so she seeks legal advice.
- Bert is a "jack of all trades" (many of them cash). The IRS is auditing his books and they are not exactly ship shape. He needs help getting his financial records in order and dealing with the IRS.
- Jane received a letter from the Hawaii Department of Revenue. They are auditing her charitable giving to women's rights groups as well as her payroll for household staff.
- Michael has been accused of tax fraud. He doesn't understand what happened and needs a defense lawyer.
- The IRS says Albert owes $23,000 in back taxes, penalties, and interest. He reviewed his records and is sure that just can't be right. He wants a lawyer on his side to deal with the IRS.
- Katie won the lottery and the IRS is on her tail. She needs to file back tax returns and negotiate a settlement with the IRS and the Hawaii Department of Revenue.
An Hawaii Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
- Income Taxes for Individuals, Estates, and Businesses
- Business Taxes (All Sorts)
- Estate Related Taxes Such as Gift Tax, Federal And State Estate Taxes, and the Generation Skipping Tax
- Payroll Taxes and Self Employment Taxes
- Real Estate Taxes
Hawaii tax lawyers handle these types of tax issues and dealings with taxing authorities:
- All Communications and Negotiations
- Tax Planning
- Criminal Defense
- Tax Filings
- Litigation in Tax Court
- Legal Research and Private Letter Rulings
Where do I Find Hawaii and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are links to relevant tax law:
- Federal Tax Laws -Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
Hawaii State Tax Laws - The Hawaii Revised Statutes (page down)
Examples of Hawaii taxes:
- Hawaii income tax is marginal, starting as low as 1.4% and going as high as 11% for high-income earners.
- The sales tax in Hawaii depends on the locale and can be as high as 4.712% (which is lower than many states).
- As of this writing,Hawaii does NOT assess an inheritance tax but there is a Hawaii estate tax for very large estates.
- Examples of Hawaii taxes:
- Your Local Tax Laws - Google your own locale (e.g. town, county, etc.) for local tax laws.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
Non-legal tax help is available at IRS the Hawaii Department of Taxation.Federal and state customer service representatives cannot provide legal advice - even though they are employed by a taxing authority. You need a tax lawyer for legal advice.
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
To find a Hawaii tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.