Tax Law in Connecticut
We've discovered that people feel more comfortable when they have foundational information, so in this article we're explaining:
- When a CT tax lawyer can help you
- The types of taxes a CT tax attorney deals with
- How to find free non-legal tax help
- How to find legal tax help
A Connecticut Tax Lawyer Can Help with these Tax Problems
Sometimes, information can be overwhelming and we're not sure how it applies to our individual situation. That's when a Connecticut tax attorney can be helpful.
Tax attorneys can help in all tax matters and here are some examples:
- Reuben is in an entrepreneur group. One of the members just found out he's been overpaying income tax to the tune of $500,000 per year. Reuben is intrigued and wants to know whether his business is paying the right amount of taxes.
- The IRS is auditing Shirley's band. She wants help with the audit.
- One of Keith's groupies was angered when he ignored her after a date. She called the IRS fraud hotline and reported him. Keith needs help dealing with the IRS and a tax fraud investigation.
- Laurie donates 10% of her profits to a charity for cats. The charity is being investigated for fraud and Laurie wants to hire help.
- Tracy found out her father never paid her taxes on all of her income when she was a minor. She needs advice on how to handle back taxes.
- The IRS has assessed Danny with back taxes, penalties, and interest. Danny owes $90,000 and doesn't have it - he is unemployed and needs help.
- Chris feels he's being harassed by the Connecticut Department of Revenue. He's been audited 3 times in the last 5 years. This time, he wants help with the audit and to prevent future audits.
A Connecticut Tax Attorney Handles These Kind of Taxes
Tax lawyers represent Connecticut residents in tax matters including:
- Capital gains - self-employment - withholding - Medicare - Social Security - income taxes - business income taxes.
- Real estate taxes.
- Mergers and acquisition taxes.
- Gift taxes.
- Purchase and use taxes.
- Federal estate and generation skipping taxes and Connecticut inheritance taxes.
Where do I Find Connecticut and Federal Tax Laws?
Here are important links for both federal and Connecticut tax laws.
- Federal Tax Code, Regulations, and Guidance
- Connecticut Statutes
- Examples of Connecticut taxes:
- Google your tax laws for your county, township, city, borough, village, etc.
How Do I Find Non-Legal Tax Help?
How Do I Find Legal Tax Help?
If information overload has struck or you know you need help (as most of us do), consult with a lawyer. To find a Connecticut tax attorney, search our free site, www.attorneys.org, or ask the bar association or a friend for a referral.